The £556,000 project at the Grade II listed Pickering Railway Station was completed for Easter 2011, despite battling against some of the heaviest snowfall in decades throughout December and January. The newly installed roof replaced platform canopy structures built in 1951 that had replaced the original G T Andrews and Robert Stephenson design from the 1840s and even includes roof tiles from the welsh quarry which provided tiles to the original project.
Following a project that has lasted over 5 years the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on 9th May 2013 unveiled the Ian Allan Publishing Award for the ‘Train of Thought’ project at Pickering. The NYMR won this National Railway Heritage Award against extremely stiff competition such as the Forth Bridge and the restoration of St. Pancras Hotel. The NYMR are delighted to have achieved this prestigious award and great credit is due to full time and volunteer staff and the Contractors and Consultants who have worked on the scheme. The restored G T Andrews roof at Pickering, Learning & Visitor Centres are testimony to the efforts and vision of the Railway. The project was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Yorkshire Forward along with bequests from individuals and groups. The NYMR are justifiably proud of their achievements and the scheme can only be a springboard for a successful future.