Roots to Roof - Winners Announced
4th July 2019
Houlton were delighted to be involved with the Roots to Roof project again this year. The schools involved were Cavendish Primary School, Buckingham Primary School, Francis Askew Primary School, Appleton Primary School and Biggin Hill Primary School.
The project aims are to:
- Support the development of skills that future employers are looking for, teamwork, problem solving, decision making, organisation, finance and presentation skills.
- Positively promote and raise awareness of the variety of job roles in the construction sector.
- Inspire students to consider a future in the construction industry and to introduce them and teachers to the Go Construct website
This is done via a STEM and enterprise activity.
The challenge brief was to design a place that you and others would like to live in. Working in small teams (4-5) students are tasked with trying to win a new contract to design a house that will appeal to families to be built on a brand-new housing estate.
The participating primary schools were supported by Humber Construction Training Group and the local Construction Industry allowing a more structured approach to promoting careers in Construction.
The pupils had to:
- Discuss and decide on a job role
- Plan their new build
- Build their new build (from re-cycled materials)
- Explore what other job roles are needed to construct their new build
- Design marketing materials and record their finance
- Present their final ideas
Each school is invited to choose one winning project from their groups to present their work at the Grand Finale event before the end of the school term.
The winners, listed below received the Annual Shield as well as a cash prize:
1st - £200 cash prize - Rainbow Brick Houses – Healing Primary School, Grimsby – the judges were blown away with the thought gone into every aspect, the presentation skills were excellent and they really understood all the job roles they had. A very polished performance indeed.
2nd - £150 cash prize - Happy Home Builders – Gillshill Primary School, Hull – the design of the house was to ensure that it was suitable for everyone! They had put in a lift and really thought about how a family would use the house, they even mentioned different drives so the parents did not disturb each other if they are on shifts, it was also very well presented.
3rd - £100 cash prize - Brickers – Weelsby Academy, Grimsby – they demonstrated a real understanding of the materials that they used and why they had chosen them. They had some great presentation materials to really help sell their house to the judges. They also included a lot of ECO friendly options.
Best Team Player - £50 – each issued with a pin badge and certificate, so at least one person from every school that attended the final got something.
<< Back to News